Sports Medicine is an area of health and special services that apply medical and scientific knowledge to prevent, recognise, manage, and rehabilitate injuries related to sport, exercise or recreational activity.
A Sports Doctor is a General Practitioner who has worked extensively or solely with athletes, and sports-related conditions and illnesses, thereby making them more experienced and knowledgable in the diagnosis and treatment of sports-related conditions.
A sports doctor can help you with:
- Obtaining further specialised investigations, such as:
– MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
– CT (Cat Scan)
– CT- or Ultrasound-guided cortisone injection
– Autologous blood injection
- Referral to surgeons, as necessary
- In-house cortisone injections, as appropriate
- Synvisc injections